Will vegetables slow ketosis?
I get asked this question a lot. Generally speaking, the answer is no. As long as you avoid vegetables like corn, beets, and carrots, which are high in starch and sugar (especially carrot JUICE, which is packed with sugar), you don’t have to worry about the vegetable family.
In fact, you want to eat lots of green leafy vegetables, cruciferous vegetables and Brussel sprouts. Create big kale salads with bacon bits and a full-fat dressing. Or make beet greens sautéed in coconut oil with some bacon, garlic, and onion stirred in. These will be dishes PACKED with potassium, which will quiet food cravings much like fat does. Often, food cravings are nothing more than your body crying out for NUTRIENTS and MINERALS you’re not giving it.
Should I count total carbs or net carbs?
Count net carbs, which is total carbs minus fiber.
Is it possible to eat too much fat?
Yes. If you look up the ketosis diet online, they say to consume 85% of calories from fat. If you consume 2500 calories from fat, you are consuming 220 grams of fat per day. I believe this is excessive and could prevent fat burning because then you’d be running on the fat you’re consuming rather than your fat stores. In the beginning you’ll need more fat to go from one meal to the next; however, as you fully adapt, you’ll need less because you’ll run on your own body’s fat.
How much fat should I eat each meal?
If you’re really battling a high appetite/high craving day or week, you might want to add more fat, especially at breakfast to trim your appetite throughout the day and enable you to go longer without cravings and hunger.
Ketosis in general suppresses your appetite, so your hunger will be greatly reduced. You’re going to be able to go many hours without eating. Let the hunger dictate how much fat you eat. If you’re not hungry, cut down on the fat a little bit.
What about keto bombs? What are these?
Keto bombs are a fat cookie that ketogenic dieters love because they’re healthy, delicious cheat foods that are virtually devoid of carbs.
I have many videos on how to make keto bombs, but you have to have them with a meal, not as a snack. The goals would be to stick to one a day. Go to my YouTube channel under playlists and recipes.
What are the seven reasons ketosis is superior for weight loss and health?
You’re running your body on ketones, not glucose, and…
- Ketones are a superior fuel.
- Ketosis produces the most weight loss of any diet I know of, targeting the belly in particular.
- Ketosis improves your memory and cognitive function. Awesome for kids that have epilepsy. Great for Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s.
- Ketosis improves mood. When running on sugar, you get highs and lows; you’re irritable and grouchy all the time.
- Ketosis eradicates cravings and hunger. It’s crazy to try to diet when you’re hungry and have cravings. When you’re running on ketones, you don’t have that fluctuation of blood sugar.
- Ketosis improves metabolism, can repair a set point that is stuck at a certain weight, and will allow you to bust through that plateau.